We value our Friends of the Shrine’s generosity. If you are seeking a way to combine your love of Mary with a commitment to philanthropy in her honor, considering Planned Giving is the perfect opportunity. Do you have questions about Planned Giving or need assistance establishing your gift to the Shrine? We are happy to help. Simply fill out this form and we will contact you.
Planned Giving Form:
I want to support the Shrine right now
Why I Plan to Give:
"I was looking for a way to donate to the Mother Shrine and praying about it. This led me to thinking about an insurance policy that I really did not need because my children were grown. I decided that this was an avenue that I could use to help the Shrine. I believe God led me to this way of giving of my time and talents."
Mr. Bob Raeth
If you have named the Shrine in your will, please let us know. We would like to recognize your remarkable commitment to support The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church.
If you are considering a planned gift or are simply interested in learning more about planned giving, please fill out the form above and we will reach out to you or call us at 573-374-MARY (6279).
What is a Planned Gift or an Estate Gift?
Generally speaking, a "planned gift" or an "estate gift" is a gift to charity that takes effect upon the donor's death.
The gift is typically created before death, but the funding of the gift to that charity is postponed until after the donor's death. Often, a planned gift can leave a positive legacy that lives on well after we are all gone.
A planned gift can provide extraordinary opportunities and resources to help The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church carry out its mission more effectively than ordinary resources and revenues could sustain. A planned gift (estate gift) may enable the donor to make a more significant gift than thought possible.
Thorough planning with knowledgeable advisors (tax accountant and/or attorney) may allow one to achieve philanthropic and estate planning goals without adversely impacting financial well-being.
What are the ways to Give?
There are many different ways for you to make a planned gift to The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church. A couple of simple ideas for how you might determine an estate gift are as follows:
Consider The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church as "one of your children."
For example, if there are four children in your family, then specify in the Will that upon death, the estate be divided into five equal parts, one for each child and one for the Shrine.
Consider an "estate tithe" to The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church.
For example, instruct in the Will that after estate expenses are taken care of, The National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church is to receive 10% of what is left over, dividing the other 90% between surviving family, other persons, causes or institutions as desired.
More Ways to Support the Shrine
Gifts of Assets
The simplest way to support the Shrine is through cash gifts. Creative gifts of assets can include stocks, bonds and property (real estate and personal property). Such gifts can provide both charitable deductions as well as other additional tax savings.
Gifts by Will
The most common planned gifts are bequests in wills. Bequests are simple and convenient and offer a wide range of options such as bequests for a specific dollar amount or for a percentage of your estate, residuary bequests, or bequests for a specific asset.
Gifts That Pay You Income
Life-income gifts, such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, can provide donors with a lifetime income stream, significant tax savings and the satisfaction of supplying the Shrine with vital, long-term resources.
Gifts from Retirement Accounts
The Shrine can be named as either a full or partial beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k) or 403(b) plan, profit-sharing plans or other retirement fund.
Bank Accounts and Securities
One of the simplest planned gifts is designating the Shrine as the beneficiary on a bank account or security. This will allow you to use the assets during your lifetime and to give the asset remains to the Shrine at your death.
A charitable trust is a way to serve with current and long-term financial and philanthropic interest. Through a charitable trust, you give cash, stock or other assets to a trust, which is invested and managed by a professional financial institution.
Naming the Shrine as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy can provide you with an efficient, affordable way to achieve your philanthropic goals! As long as the policy is owned by the Shrine, the premiums are deductible from federal income taxes as charitable gifts, subject to limits of income.